If you have a Canon 5D Mark IV or a Canon 1D X Mark II, Canon has just released an important firmware update for your camera. Please see the official advisories from Canon, below, for details as to what has changed. If you need help installing the updates, please feel free to visit your local Mike’s Camera, give us a call, or email me with the form at the end of this page.
Firmware Update: EOS 5D Mark IV: Firmware Version 1.1.2
Firmware Version 1.1.2 incorporates the following improvements and fixes:
- Support has been added for chromatic aberration correction, peripheral illumination correction, distortion correction, and Digital Lens Optimizer when using Digital Photo Professional to process RAW images captured with the following TS-E lenses: TS-E 17mm f/4L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, TS-E 50mm f/2.8L MACRO, TS-E 90mm f/2.8L MACRO, or TS-E 135mm f/4L MACRO.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which standard exposure may not be obtained, or an irregular exposure may result, when Silent LV (Live View) shooting with the following TS-E lenses: TS-E 50mm f/2.8L MACRO, TS-E 90mm f/2.8L MACRO, or TS-E 135mm f/4L MACRO.
- Support for Exif 2.31 has been added.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera may not function normally when using the Camera Connect application to shoot a high frame rate movie.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which error 80 may occur when HDR movies are shot using the Remote Live View Shooting function. (Applies only to Canon Log-supported cameras.)
Firmware Version 1.1.2 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.1.0. If the camera’s firmware is already Version 1.1.2, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
When updating the firmware of your camera, please first go over the instructions thoroughly before you download the firmware.
- Once the EOS 5D Mark IV firmware is updated to Version 1.1.0 (or later), it cannot be restored to a previous firmware version (Version 1.0.1 to 1.0.4).
- Cameras running Firmware Version 1.1.0 are cameras that have received the charged upgrade service to support Canon log at a Canon service center. Canon Log support will not be affected on cameras running Firmware Version 1.1.0 that are updated to Firmware Version 1.1.2 being released this time. For cameras running Firmware Version 1.0.4 or earlier, even if the firmware is updated to Version 1.1.2, Canon Log will not be supported. Users who wish to have their camera support Canon Log are asked to make a request for the charged upgrade service at a Canon service center.
- When using Version 4.7.10 (or earlier) of Digital Photo Professional to edit JPEG/RAW images captured with a camera updated to Firmware Version 1.1.2 (or later), some of the Exif data may be deleted. In addition, chromatic aberration correction, peripheral illumination correction, distortion correction, and Digital Lens Optimizer cannot be used when processing RAW images captured using a TS-E lens (TS-E17mm F4L, TS-E24mm F3.5L II, TS-E50mm F2.8L Macro, TS-E90mm F2.8L Macro, or TS-E135mm F4L Macro). Please be sure to update Digital Photo Professional to Version 4.7.20 (or later) before performing image processing.
Firmware Update: EOS-1D X Mark II: Firmware Version 1.1.6
Firmware Version 1.1.6 incorporates the following fix:
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera may not function normally when images are simultaneously displayed on the camera’s LCD monitor and an external monitor (via HDMI output).